B. Janell Grenier is principal of the Law Office of B. Janell Grenier located in the Philadelphia region. Ms. Grenier has over 20 years of experience with major law firms counseling clients in all aspects of employee benefits and ERISA law, including the design, drafting, implementation and administration of qualified and nonqualified retirement plans, flexible compensation programs, welfare benefits plans, and fiduciary law aspects of ERISA. Her clients have included small private start-up companies, family-owned businesses, Fortune 100 companies, as well as tax-exempt and governmental entities.
Ms. Grenier’s practice has involved her in extensive plan compliance work on behalf of clients, including plan compliance audits, submitting plans for correction under the IRS’ Employee Plan Compliance Resolution Program, obtaining prohibited transaction exemptions and advisory opinions from the Department of Labor and private letter rulings from the Internal Revenue Service. Her experience also includes representing ERISA plan fiduciaries in governmental and adversarial proceedings and protection of plan fiduciaries through ERISA fiduciary compliance programs.
Before starting her own practice, Ms. Grenier served as Special Counsel with Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (one of the ten largest law firms in the US with nearly 1300 lawyers worldwide.) She also has served with the following major law firms in the various cities which have been her residence: Of Counsel, Ray, Quinney & Nebeker (Salt Lake City, Utah, Associate, Stinson, Morrison & Hecker LLP (Kansas City, Missouri), and Partner, Hartzog, Conger Cason & Neville (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma).
Ms. Grenier is admitted to practice law in the following states: Pennsylvania, Missouri, Oklahoma and Utah. She is the creator and author of Benefitsblog, a tax, benefits and ERISA law commentary and ERISAblog, an ERISA law commentary.
- Employee Benefits/Executive Comp. and ERISA
- Defined Contribution Plans/401(k)/ESOPs
- IRS Compliance
- ERISA Litigation
- Fiduciary and DOL Matters
- Tax-Exempt Organizations and Governmental Plans/403(b)/457
- Transactional Matters
- Defined Benefit/Cash Balance Plans
- COBRA/125 Plans/Flexible Compensation
- University of Oklahoma, 1977, BMUS
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, 1980, JD
Appointments and Affiliations
- Legislative Chair, Member of the Board
- Greater Valley Forge Human Resource Association
- Pension Liaison Committee, IRS Key District Office, Philadelphia, PA.
- Member, SHRM
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association Member, Utah Bar Association
- Member, Oklahoma Bar Association
- Member, Missouri Bar Association
- Member, Christian Legal Society